Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I Remember..

I remember playing flashlight tag with the kids in my neighborhood. I hid behind the evergreen tree across from my house in the night’s wet grass.
I remember all the people standing on the ice covered, downtown sidewalk in the middle of winter waiting for a simple meal.
I remember flicking the thermometer like my mom always did but hitting it on the couch. It shattered into little pieces – mercury rolling around on the seat cushion.
I remember when the soup ran out and it was replaced by a massive bucket of foul smelling beans.
I remember when my brother and his friends ‘accidently’ caught the tree line behind our house on fire. I waived down the fire truck while my dad attempted to put the fire out with a tiny, plastic bucket.
I remember when the water jugs ran out. I asked for them to be refilled so I could keep filling the flimsy, plastic cups. But no, everyone else would have to get water out of the drinking fountain now.
I remember moving into our new house – the house specifically built for us. It took me several weeks to get use to the smell of fresh plaster and paint.
I remember the old woman with nothing but a small shopping cart to her name. She kept to herself and never made eye contact.
I remember happily pushing my little sister around in a shopping cart. I begged my mom for something different in every aisle. Fruit Rollups! Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment