Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Food I Remembers

I remember serving food and serving our minds.

I remember shucking corn on the deck with no shoes on while the sun was setting and talking about how my sister's boyfriend set a table on fire at the ku ke lau.

I remember waking up every Sunday and smelling the aroma of fresh cut celery and carrots before they were tossed into the bubbling pot of chicken broth.

I remember the scent of overcooked mystery stew as it wafts with the almost-forgotten hint of Jack Daniel and Weed.

I remember the smell of spaghetti wafting through the room, enticing the entire Drop Inn community.

I remember the ravioli mom used to make. The big ravioli drenched in bold red marinara, sprinkled with parmesan like snow.

I remember when we ran out of ravioli. When the ravioli turned into beans, mush, mud. But they ate it anyway, only some complained.

I remember boiling a pot of hot water, making a mug of Tazo Clam Tea, sitting back in one of the two big leather recliners in my living room, and turning on a movie.

I remember the anticipation building as the smell of taco spices crept up the steps and infiltrated my room while I sat at my desk.

I remember chewing Trident spearmint-flavored gum after my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, all packed in a brown paper sack.

I remember dinner requests, although, variety and choice was lacking.

I remember the thick, stewy soup that was served to the Drop-Inn residents.  A lot of residents thought it looked unappetizing.  I didn't think it looked that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment