Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I Remember

I remember lining up with my sisters and neighbors on the first day of school each year. We would all take a picture on our porch before walking the four blocks of school together.

I remember the smell of sticky buns and egg strata drawing me into the kitchen after ripping through my presents on Christmas morning.

I remember the smell of spaghetti wafting through the room, enticing the entire Drop Inn community.

I remember watching whatever my sister waned on the TV because she was bigger and stronger than me.

I remember people crowding in front of our little house for a party we were throwing. It seemed like people were coming from all directions. I never expected them all to fit in the house.

I remember the crowd outside of the Drop Inn. Where did all these people come from?

I remember joking and laughing with my sisters, teasing and antagonizing each other.

I remember feeling cramped in the small building, and imagining how everyone else felt.

I remember feeling at home.

I remember feeling lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment