Sunday, April 5, 2009

I remember my intoxicatingly pink bedroom and the privacy of it over a dorm room.

I remember hearing about how the men’s beds were anything but comforting. How you could not snuggle up with your blankets and pillows if you were tired, sad, or cold. 

I remember not wanting to leave high school. I did not want to leave my friends, cheerleading, homecomings, proms, and everything I had done in that small town I call home.

I remember looking around the room wandering about what their lives consisted of. Where were their families and friends? I did not feel bad for them; I felt how strong they were. I know that I could not go on without my friends or family by my side.

I remember winning the fifth grade D.A.R.E. essay contest. It was so exciting to know that I had won something and for my entire grade to be there to see it happen, along with my mom.

I remember the enthusiasm Billy D. had about his keychains. I was ecstatic for him because I know that what he was doing was a big accomplishment and huge steps toward his future. 

I remember the playhouse in the backyard filled with me and my brother’s playful spirit and how we never thought we would actually grow up. 

I remember missing my old house because that is where my true memories reside. I wonder what they miss....

No comments:

Post a Comment