Monday, April 6, 2009

I remember the smell of the soil as we covered the top of the shoe box and laid it to rest forever in the earth. The neighbor boy half sarcastically laid down dandelions as I tried to piece together in my mind why it had not made it through the night. Goodbye, Calico bunny.

I remember laying in the tall grass with an Indian boy who couldn't say my name. We held each other like lovers as i casually broke the silence with a philsophical tangent about the expansive universe. Maybe it was the accent barrier, or he was just in complete agreement, but he only had one thing to say when I was done: Exactly.

I remember back when I already knew everything. Everyone younger was immature and foolish and everyone older was pricky and stupid. The grass seemed extra green that summer.

I remember the first time I scouled in church.

I remember I was running first in the cross country meet. It was a small race, and I was running JV...but nobody could make me feel anything but ontop of the world. That was until, several moments later, I realized I had strayed off course by about 50 feet and was now in 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment