Thursday, February 26, 2009

Stereotypes

As a Miami Student I attend a school that is home to an assortment of stereotypes

These stereotypes range from

“Selfish Bitches”

To

“Cocky Fraternity Boys”

 

Stereotypes define a person or place from an “outsiders” point of view

These stereotypes usually disappear once a situation is better understood.

But does anyone try to understand?

 

I have stereotypes

We all have them

Even if we try to ignore them

they are there.

How?

Family

Friends

Books

Media

 

The only way to erase stereotypes is to overcome them through

experience.

 

 

You walk by fraternity house and flashes of

Vineyard vine shorts

Polos

Sperrys

Alcohol

Consume your thoughts

 

You walk by a homeless shelter and flashes of

Tattered Wrangler jeans

Moth-eaten plaid shirts

Alcohol

Consume your thoughts

 

See they already have something in common.

 

You walk into a fraternity house and you witness

Brotherhood

Huge dinner table of boys grubbing down

Fights over sports and girls

 

You walk into a homeless shelter and you witness

Brotherhood

Huge dinner table of men grubbing down

Fights over sports and girls

 

Now there is a lot in common.

 

Yet definite differences remain.

 

Greek letters mounted on a stone outside the fraternity house

Versus

“No Loitering” sign mounted on crumbling paint outside the homeless shelter

 

Credit cards with charges that get billed to parents

Versus

Bills that will never be paid

 

BMWs, Lexus, Mercedes parked out front

Versus

Shopping carts full of month old newspaper

 

The material possession of these two groups of men may divide them but

Human passion

Love

And

Brotherhood

Exist not only in fraternity brothers and sorority sisters but exist in

Homeless men and women

 

 

In no way are my observations stated in a manner to mitigate the incredible pain and hardship that is associated with homelessness.  Rather, I hoped to convey the important message that the only thing that separates a guy in a fraternity house and a guy in a homeless shelter, are green pieces of paper with the faces of presidents.  This seemingly small but incredibly significant difference should never instill superiority or foster stereotypes between two men who are someone’s brothers, husbands, fathers, or boyfriends.

 

 

9 comments:

  1. The conclusions that you came up with are very correct. I never would have thought to make this comparison, but you provided a lot of evidence that shows solid similarities between the two groups. It is rather surprising, but in the end, all makes sense. We are all human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there are similarities between these two groups. After all, being human connects people. Circumstances may be different, but the mere fact that we are living and breathing and going through life, puts us on a plane together whether we like it or not. The funny thing is that Miami students would probably not like being compared with homeless people. What they do is ok, but what a homeless person does is not. Interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a creative way to discuss your Drop Inn visit. Comparing fraternities to homeless people is something that many people would not think to do. It is all very true though. I think that many people forget what homeless people actually are--people. Some people cannot get past the whole homeless part. I feel like this would be a good piece to share with Miami students even though they may not all agree about the comparisons but it would be a good way to show them what they truly are. I believe that this statement, "Rather, I hoped to convey the important message that the only thing that separates a guy in a fraternity house and a guy in a homeless shelter, are green pieces of paper with the faces of presidents," was an important detail to add.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (sorry the above comment is from me--I just used the wrong profile to post it)

    This was such a creative way to discuss your Drop Inn visit. Comparing fraternities to homeless people is something that many people would not think to do. It is all very true though. I think that many people forget what homeless people actually are--people.
    Some people cannot get past the whole homeless part. I feel like this would be a good piece to share with Miami students even though they may not all agree about the comparisons but it would be a good way to show them what they truly are. I believe that this statement, "Rather, I hoped to convey the important message that the only thing that separates a guy in a fraternity house and a guy in a homeless shelter, are green pieces of paper with the faces of presidents," was an important detail to add.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this comparison! I found many similarities between my friends and some of people at the Drop Inn, but I never made this connection. It makes perfect sense though. The alcohol comparison was great because both groups probably consume a relatively close (and large) amount of alcohol. I also really agree with the fact that only thing separating these two different groups of people is money. You have made a really great point in a really beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree 100% with you. I think that that is one of the most important things that I took away from the experience. As much as I felt that I didn't have something in common with any of the people I was serving, I had so much in common with them. Once I got past our differences, I was able to realize that people had something to offer, just as I did. Homelessness is just a tag. I feel like it does not (nor should it) define you unless you allow it to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed the comparison of the two worlds. I don't think very many people realize how similar they are to people who live such different lifestyle from them. Perhaps expanding more on these similarities would be an eye-opening experience for many people who haven't had the opportunity to see it with their own eyes like we did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is a call to consciousness, it really is a great way to demonstrate how wrong some of the societal things at Miami are. I think they can be applied to many colleges on campus as well and not just Miami. A glimmer of hope still stands up to everything that flys in the face of the homeless. I agree with what you said.

    ReplyDelete