Monday, February 16, 2009

A drop in impression

Visiting the Drop Inn reminded me that the U.S is structured in such a way that white middle and upper class people do not have to witness or have knowledge of those less fortunate than them. The federally funded housing projects of the 40s ensured that people like myself would only have to look upon their neatly manicured lawn. Driving into the poorer area of the city everyone seems to cringe. Perhaps subconsciously we feel we aren't meant to see this. The feeling of not belonging persisted as we volunteered. I noticed other volunteers or workers (especially the women) making a point of avoiding us or pretending we weren't there. I don't understand why space has become defined by class. Why is it when I go into a convenience store in my local ghetto the cashier asks me cynically if I'm lost? I hate thinking that my socioeconomic status makes me belong somewhere.

One of the things I was most surprised about was the openness and honesty of some of the program members. They were happy to offer information about how drugs had affected their lives and what their progress was like. One man went into detail about how you have to have a group to support you if you want to recover. In a big way the Drop Inn isn't a roof over your head, its a community. This leads me to homeless culture. Is there such a thing and does it revolve around being homeless? I can't say that we spent enough time to find out.

Another thing I thought about was the role of appreciation. Some people were angry about the type of food being served or food that ran out. Are they aware that it is free? Do they know that in Latin America they would have chicken feet soup instead of beans of chili? Many shamelessly sought seconds before everyone else had eaten. As someone who obviously lacks the means to provide for themselves how can they be ignorant of the plight of others? While I am aware that mental illness accounts for some of the rudeness and bad attitudes, I still found some of it to be agitating.

As someone who has done a lot of volunteering and cultural immersion I didn't find the trip to be that eye opening. Rather it brought about the same questions that continually emerge in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. very interesting observation and good analysis of the differences that exist between people of different economic classes. About your question as to whether there exists a community in the drop inn center i really think there is an overwhelming source of community in the drop inn. It seemed like a family reunion rather than a group of men at a homeless shelter. I was wondering if people who maybe got a job and were able to afford a house etc. ever stay in contact with people at the homeless shelter.

    ReplyDelete