Sunday, February 15, 2009

"Love Wins," a portrait, and a glow in the dark keychain

On the way to the Drop Inn I thought about the things that my classmates had said about their experiences there. I was trying to imagine what it would look like inside and I was getting nervous because of what I had previously heard about it. When we walked in it felt kind of awkward because we were not sure what to do or where to go. After a little bit it felt more comfortable. I was surprised to see that they had a big screen television inside. What I had pictured was not how it really was. We were told that they would not be as busy since it was warm outside; warm to them is above 40 degrees.

 The men from the rehab program seemed so nice. Most of them were pretty chatty. They asked where we were from, what our majors were, and things like that. They seemed like they were interested in getting to know us. A few of them could really make me laugh. The men who came through the line were said thank you, smiled, asked how I was, and gave compliments. I was not expecting such kindness. Not all of them were friendly, some just kept their heads down but I did not come across any that were mean or rude to me.

 We met a man who goes by the name Billy D. He was one of the men who were there through the drug rehabilitation program. He instantly befriended the three of us. I was told by one of the other men that Billy D. was the jokester of the group but in a good way. He had such a great sense of humor and he let us know that he was ready to fix up his life. He had plans. He had dreams. He told us that he got his nickname Billy D. because he is pretty much a ladies’ man. I could see that because he had a certain charm about him. We asked about his bracelet that he was wearing which read, “Love Wins.” I felt like this was very inspirational. He said that’s what he lives his life by, at least now he does. He also showed us his keychains that showed how long he had been sober from drugs. The next one to get would be glow in the dark. When he was talking to us about this I got this overwhelming feeling of pride for him. Billy D. clued us in on how the meetings they were required to go to were set up. They were great to share, talk, and give support to one another since your emotions begin to come back once you stop drugs. He was so great to talk to.

 Billy D. asked me if we were going to come like once week or anything like that. I felt terrible. I was thinking about how we had not voluntarily decided to come and help but we had to come for a class. I wish it was closer to Oxford because then I would for sure come back to volunteer. I told him that we were not sure yet and he told me that God was blessing us right now.

 The women at the Drop Inn did not seem like the men at all. There was not a friendly air about them at all. One of them seemed to get in a fight with a lot of people. We were informed that she was like this a lot.

 The men from the rehab program told asked my eye color and my name again because they were going to give me something so I would never forget them. I was truly touched by the picture that Picasso drew of myself. Drawing is something that he really loves and you can tell. We asked if he had taken classes or anything for drawing before and he said no. It was very sweet and my drawing will be hanging on my wall in my dorm for the rest of the year for sure and I will for sure remember them.

 Ever since leaving the Drop Inn I have noticed myself talking a lot about it to my friends and family. I can tell that this little act of kindness/homework assignment has definitely had an impact on me.

 I do not feel like I looked at these people as a project but as an experience. I enjoyed helping them and getting to talk to them. You do not meet people like this at Miami so this was a valuable experience. After meeting these people they are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I hope they all achieve what they need.

 When we were walking to the van I could not help to notice that I felt safe walking down that street while just less than two hours ago I had felt afraid. It was a good feeling and I would go back in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

  1. I did not get a chance to talk to any of the men from the rehab program. Hearing about Billy D., however, seems as if it was a very rewarding conversation. The fact that he was so open and proud of his recent accomplishments must have been extremely moving to hear about. Even though some of the men there sometimes did not appear to be making great efforts to improve their lives, actually hearing stories such as Billy D.'s illustrates that people have stories, depth, hope, and goals that are not often clearly evident on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your idea that it was more of an experience than a project, because when I was there it didn't feel 'project-like' at all. I felt like for a couple of hours I was just thrown into a completely different social situation. Also, you're conversation with Billy D. was extremely interesting to read about and adds a lot of depth to our overall experience as a group.

    ReplyDelete