Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Drop Inn Experience by Casey Ellerman

In the dark and the cold, an empty city or so it seemed.

Driving around in circles of squares

            Getting increasingly frightened and skeptical

Worried as to where we would park, do we bring in our bags?  Or leave them in the car?

Several times we passed by the Drop Inn Shelter, each time, men gathered, holding beer cans or cigarettes. 

“is that guy peeing on the trashcan?  Um okay lets go.”  As we passed, continuing on our driving mission to find a CLOSE parking place.

Eventually, we parked directly in front of the Drop Inn.

Stepping out of Peggy’s truck, the stench of urine surrounded us.

Men, mostly, loitered outside, however as we walked past them and inside, I was not as uncomfortable as I’ve been in the past when in situations I was unfamiliar with.

Bright lights illuminated ivory colored tiles.

The large room smelled of twice baked beans. 

There were men sitting at the various tables in front of the “buffet”.

On the far side of the room, benches provided seating for those not eating yet, their bags crunched underneath them. 

A big TV aired a program for the shelter drop inns to enjoy while waiting for their meal. 

I served stale, cardboard feeling bread, individually bagged.

Wendy served chips next to me.  Everyone wanted the chips.  There were many attempts at a second and even third bag.

While handing out the paper bread, I was asked how many earrings I have and what color my eyes were.  I answered with a smile.

Towards the end of serving time, I was informed that I was being drawn by a professional.  “Picasso” I called him.

The artist’s sketch was all in pencil, however my eyes and lips were shaded in with green, blues and pinks. 

I shook his hand and requested he sign my portrait.  I don’t think I’ve ever been so flattered or moved.

We left, got back in the car and I couldn’t help but smile. 

The four of us going there and serving those people dinner made their night and was more rewarding than I can put into 300 words.  

No comments:

Post a Comment