Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Peggy's visit to the Drop Inn

A man urinating at the side of the garbage can.
One drinking from a bottle in a brown paper bag.
Boarded up buildings.
Loitering takes on a whole new meaning.
We walk past the men. A little apprehensive.
Greeted with smiles.
Put on gloves, man the line.
It’s bean night. Apples, chips, beans, and water. An evening meal.
One scoop of beans in each bowl. Not too much. They have to last.
Can I have more? All the way to the top?
But you might spill it.
No I won’t.
If you’re sure, here you go.
Can you give me more of the meat? I like lot’s of meat.
Sure, I’ll do my best, here’s a big chunk just for you.
Rows of tables full of people. Quietly eating.
Most in their own world.
They wait at benches watching a big screen T.V.
It’s very orderly. No pushing. No cutting in line.
Do you work here?
I’m in the program. I’ve been here for three months. I had to want to be here. We have classes all day but we have to serve three meals a day. They do it so we can be examples to them (nods head toward crowd). We are supposed to give them hope.
Why are they all here?
They have lost hope.
Where is their family?
They are detached from their family. This place has a rehab program. When you do drugs you end up breaking the law to keep getting the drugs.
Do you take clothes donations? That man’s coat is pretty bad and it’s really cold outside.
We had a problem with bed bugs. They stopped taking clothes.
Are those two guys volunteers?
(They are young, white, well dressed and look as out of place as we do)
They live here. They just came yesterday. We had three empty beds and now they are filled. The young black guy next to them is new also. They look a little wide eyed. They’re just checking it out. They aren’t sure what is really going on.
Did they do something?
Probably got arrested. I got arrested too.
I’m from Alabama.
How did you get to Ohio?
My sister lives in Dayton. I came to see her. They don’t have anything like this in Dayton so I am in Cincinnati. Where are you from?
We’re from Oxford. Miami University.
Are you the teacher?
(I laugh) No, I’m a student, a very old student.
Can I have seconds?
The lady in charge says wait until 7. Sorry. Come back and you’ll be first in my line.
I see your hat; did you serve in the military?
Yeah, I was a pilot in Vietnam.
My husband is in the Navy.
I bet he hates it.
No, not really.
Finally done.
The lady in charges asks if we need assistance when we leave.
“Do we need assistance?”
She says we’ll be fine.
A security guard waits by the door as we leave.
We have a few coats in our closet we don’t really use, maybe next time I’ll bring them.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the way you chose to document your experience. The way you created a giant list that consisted of events, thoughts, and quotes, really allowed me to imagine your entire evening, down to even the smallest detail. The last two points you mentioned were particularly interesting. I felt the exact same way as I walked out the door. I'm sure a lot of us did. I wanted them to have better food, nicer clothes, and more security in their lives. It was hard for me to face them when I knew that I was going home to a safe place with plenty of food and warm clothes.

    ReplyDelete