Monday, March 23, 2009

Intro.; No Offense

So we’re creating this project. We, as in my creative writing class at Miami. All twenty-something of us. I want to be the introduction to the project.

 

Let me start by warning you. There’s a young man in my class who has fought this assignment since the day it was assigned. Oh, and P.S. he’ll read this and be happy that he got under my skin enough for me to write about him. Even that pisses me off. So anyways, this kid has thought it was morally wrong to be doing this – creating a final product to give to the Drop Inn ‘people.’ Why? We’re just like them, we’re dehumanizing them, and other such ideas he has about the project. Well, I’m done with his shit. This is a group project, dude. Grow a pair, write your shit, turn it in, and the people at the Drop Inn probably won’t even give a damn, it’s just something new to read.

 

Maybe they’ll find raw blog posts that explained the immediate reactions from some of my classmates. Some were shocked by the Drop Inn. The whole event, assignment, experience… Others were more passionate about the people living or just ‘dropping in’ to the Drop Inn.

 

It’s Miami University we’re talking about here…One of the most homogenous college universities (or for that matter, places) around our country. Sheltered, anyone?

 

Okay, so that was my pessimistic side.

 

I’m excited about the project. I’m ready to produce something from our collective findings as a class and not get feedback from the Drop Inn. It could be there a while, or maybe someone throws it away after a week. Why they throw it away? Maybe they’re offended. Maybe it’s a mistake. I don’t want to spend time analyzing the situation.

 

Regardless, its six of one, half a dozen of another in relation to how the people who will be reading it, see us as writers, or as self-absorbed Miami students. But, we have a chance at being people with the Drop Inn visitors. Most of the country stereotypes our University as wealthy or pompous, entitled conformists, etc. But the Drop Inn is open to anyone, and our piece that we’ll submit will be too.

 

With that said, maybe my friend who is so concerned about the final product (after reading my blog post – woops) can handle submitting our work to the Drop Inn without being judged or hated on his conscience.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you wrote "No Offense," because otherwise I bet he would've thought some of that was a little offensive. Haha.

    Also, I think this is a poem.

    ReplyDelete