Monday, March 23, 2009

1st Drop Inn draft

Blueberries for Sal
I found it in a box labeled lamp shades

Sal ate too many blueberries
Her mother was unquestionably genius
All the pictures are in navy blue and mellow yellow

In Leverett there were blueberries
I stuck my fingers through a hole in the screen
A splinter on the wooden floor
They tasted like the sunset

When my mom read the book I was Sal
The overalls matched the short haircut
Inquisitive children always learn more than they wish to know

Now the yellow and blue illustrations are stuffed in a box
Did you know an entire life can fit in a box?

We packed all the boxes and taped them
Packing tape screeched on the roller
The tape knew our misfortune

Blueberries collect in the bottom of the pale
The insides are really purple
I don't mind calling them blue

In an empty room I stack boxes
The leaning tower of my life
I lock the door
The dog asks where we are going but I care not to reply

No comments:

Post a Comment