Thursday, March 26, 2009

A few thoughts ....

Homeless Shleter Defintion
-Homeless shelters are temporary residences for homeless people. Usually located in urban neighborhoods, they are similar to emergency shelters. The primary difference is that homeless shelters are usually open to anyone, without regard to the reason for need. ...
-A place where a homeless person will often get a roof over his/her head; a temporary address which provides sleep-in facilities for displacedTemporary??What if it turns into longer temporary sounds so young and little.Often get a roof over there head?? what if they don't then what? The streets? Cold nights? like cold souls?We all take for granted the things we already have and are blinded by what we want that we dont see what others need. A place to call home is a necessity to some but a privalage??
I think not. I think it should be something everyone has. It should be something so routine and open that when someone is comfortable and at peace and it should be felt in a place called HOME. A place where they have fond memories good and bad, where they watched their family grow, a place of their own....Even with my opinion I am still a hypocrit to Homeless people who are really no different then myslef except they are less fortunate then I and even more less fortunate then some of the students at this school. I can name multiple encounters I have had with homless people and I have felt the same everytime. Afraid?? Why, I can only imagine because of the stereotypical idea of a homeless person is supposed to be scary? What happens when your neighbor who you have lived beside for years loses their home and becomes Homeless??? Then what ? Are they scary then? Do you avoid them? Do you help them? Or are you afraid they might become dependent on you?
Being Homeless is like a survey of question and what if's and couldv'e shouldv'es .....The shelter helped me see further into the situation of homelessness. I was afriad at first going into the shelter .... actually I was afraid when we pulled up. So many thoughts were running through my head and yet when we were inside & and actually serving only one kept going through. "Why did I come with pre-exsisting thoughts of how these people were going to be when I didn't know them??"
I tell myself that I should feel privlaged to have parents that cared enough to work their ass off to give me and my siblings everything we have. I tell myslef I should feel privlaged to be able to go to school and have a car and have a job and have all these things?? Then I tell myself I am privlaged thats why I have them but what makes me any different from those who dont have them?? How do you become privlaged when its either given to you or not? What is a privlage if you can work and work and still not get shit?? I'm confused on everything about this.. But in the mist of all that I ask myself....If I gave up one thing such as my car and it would benefit 10 homless people would I??The question is unanswered because Idon't know..... When reading it you want to say yeah....But I didn't and maybe Im selfish but is it my fault I was privlaged enough to have those things??? Or "Their" fault that their not??

In studies they say that the two main leading factors to homlessness is Lack of support from public funding or its just not there and the decreasing employment oppertunites.When your economy is in a place such as we are now how do we begin helping others with out letting our own selves go with it. I think the third leading factor is greed. Self absorbance, power, money,possessions, and many other things take over and we become blinded to the nature of what is going on to others and the little places. We should want to help...should....

-Should-"used in auxiliary function to express what is probable or expected"
Expected?? So where is it?? A question and an answer that can be classified as a mystery always to be explored but never solved??
Homelessness-My defintion is that of an unfortunate event that has happened to those who are under privlaged...some by fate others by choice...But all have the ability to over come their situations as long as they have the will to fight for it!!!! They have to want better, do better, and understand..there is a reasoning for everything and what don't or won't kill you .....Has made you stronger!!!!! Your here aren't you ....seek for your purpose and Faith and perserverance will pay off!!!

1 comment:

  1. When writing this I was under the assumption that we were doing reflective piece's? Sorry

    ReplyDelete